Wednesday 23 October 2013

Mental momentum meltdown mayhem....m


Once again I have gotten into a good working rhythm, where my enthusiasm is once again at an all time high. The only trouble is harnessing it affectively. I often see this "animation high" as a reason/opportunity to discuss things with the community and fellow enthusiasts, this is fine but I really need to put in as many hours as I can! At times like this it is as though I am being pulled under by a tidal wave of mental energy. Every idea is a grand painting... I just struggle to see where to place the first brush strokes.

So what have I been up to this week, well besides correcting the mess of a 'jump' exercise I created I have been plotting a choosing a few long term projects to draw out some new skills. At the start of 2013 a class mate of mine took part in and secured first place in the Jameson D.I.S.S awards hosted by Empire. To my knowledge he had entered the previous 2 years also before winning. Now I haven't made a complete "Film" since college and I would very much enjoy the excitement of progressing in such a competition, assuming I can get through any of the stages. Each entry is sixty seconds long, but I will be going at this alone for now. I'm not going to jump to the obvious film choices I would love to do such as Kick-Ass or the Avengers, so I am going to dig into my ever expanding list of favourite movies and choose from them. So far I have made a short list of the following; Karate Kid, Meet Joe Black, The Crow, Abe Lincoln, Vampire Hunter, Road house and one of three Bruce Lee movies including (The obvious) Enter the Dragon, Way of The Dragon and Fist of Fury. If I take on any of these there will have to be a lot of creative research, both to help with stylistic techniques, aesthetics and technical knowhow. Its a daunting challenge for me considering I usual just do characters but its not a pressure I plan to buckle under.

In other efforts, I used to set aside a full month to tackle the 11 second club to allow for the amount of work shifts that would get in the way. But I have found that to be too long a time to spread it out amongst considering the level I was finishing it too. Also my workflow has come a long way since then and I need to force myself into creating more seconds of animation each week. With submitting it to a number of companies to query for job opens in mind, this should be an interesting test!

No comments:

Post a Comment